The American Association of University Women (AAUW) is the nation’s leading voice promoting equity and education for women and girls. Since our founding in 1881, AAUW members have examined and taken positions on the fundamental issues of the day — educational, social, economic, and political.
A graduate holding an associate or equivalent, baccalaureate or higher degree from a qualified educational institution is eligible to join the AAUW.
Learn more about branch activities in our Highlights newsletter.
The Fight for Fair Pay
The Simple Truth about the Gender Pay Gap
The gender pay gap is the gap between what men and women are paid. Most commonly, it refers to the median annual pay of all women who work full time and year-round, compared to the pay of a similar cohort of men. Other estimates of the gender pay gap are based on weekly or hourly earnings, or are specific to a particular group of women.
The gender pay gap is the result of many factors, including occupational segregation, bias against working mothers, and direct pay discrimination. Additionally, such things as racial bias, disability, access to education, and age come into play. Consequently, different groups of women experience very different gaps in pay.
Women’s Earnings as a percentage of White Men’s Earnings, by Race/Ethnicity, 2018
- Asian-American Women’s Equal Day is February 11. Asian-American women are paid 90 cents for every dollar paid to white men.
- All Women’s Equal Pay Day is March 31. Women working full time and year round are paid 82 cents for every dollar paid to a man who works full time and year round.
- Mother’s Equal Pay Day is June 4. Mothers are paid 70 cents for every dollar paid to fathers.
- Black Women’s Equal Pay Day is August 13. Black women are paid 62 cents for every dollar paid to white men. White women are paid 79 cents for every dollar paid to white men.
- Native American Women’s Equal Pay Day is October 1. Native women are paid 57 cents for every dollar paid to white men.
- Latina Women’s Equal Pay Day is October 29. Latina’s are paid 54 cents for every dollar paid to white men.